With the recent events around town, I thought it would be a good idea to teach Maria how to dial 911 in case something was to happen to Wes or I. I started out telling her what an emergency was (not being able to wake mommy or daddy up) and then telling her what to do with her brothers and sister until help came. I felt bad because it was a little scary for her but it was something she should really know so that they wouldn't be alone by themselves for a long time if something was to happen. I put a letter T on the phone so she knew how to turn the phone on and had her listen for the dial tone. I would then turn the phone off and had her practice dialling 911. I had to keep reminding her that you only dial 911 if there is an emergency. We don't need the police here during the day :) She would get the 6 and 9 confused so we put a small dot on the number 9. I made a sign to put on the fridge with what she has to do and also put Grandma Theresa's number on there so she has that too just in case. We then practiced what the 911 operator would say to her and I told her she had to stay on the phone with them the whole time until the police man came to the door. She wasn't so scared when I told her that Grandpa Brian or Uncle Michael would come to help also (they are on the fire department). After we got done doing all of this she says to me "I will watch the kids until Daddy gets home when the police man takes you to the hospital." I told her that Grandma Theresa would probably come get them so she didn't have to worry about it, they wouldn't be left alone. Then she says to me, "I will tell the police man thank you very much for coming to help my mommy." She cracks me up with the things she thinks about.
When I saw Maria after you taught her all these things I could tell she was really proud that she had learned to dial our number, so I asked her what it was. She said, "I don't remember, but mommy wrote it on a piece of paper so I'll remember how to do it, don't worry." I tried really hard not to laugh, but I don't think I was successful. She's taking this very seriously and it's a great idea.
ReplyDeleteYou should have tried to keep a straight face when you are the one trying to teach her! I was trying to be very serious so she knew it was very important and that the phone is not a toy and she keep saying all this funny stuff!
ReplyDelete